Monday, August 4, 2008

My first shawl

Ok... this is it. I decided about 2 months ago that I wanted to make a shawl for my mom. I know I would most likely never wear one - well, maybe I would, with a dress... but I hardly wear dresses. I do know that my mom would wear a shawl. She has made a couple for herself (she crochets).

I wanted to start with something pretty, yet very simple for my first shawl. There are tons of finished shawls on Ravlery and that's where I was able to see the many different yarns, colors and sizes many different shawls. Anyway, after much browsing and researching, I narrowed down the choices to 2 simple shawls by the same designer. Since a lot of people use Flickr to post their images on Ravelry, I did a search on them and here are the Flickr results: Heartland Shawls and Swallowtail Shawls.

Then, the other day when I went into my LYS because of a 40% off moving sale (they are relocating to about 1 block away and say that with the sale, they won't have to lug so much stuff to the new store) I found some beautiful yarn. There was only one skein and it was beautifully hand painted. Amid the other sale choices, I decided that this yarn was PERFECT. In fact, I loved it so much that I PAID FULL PRICE: $25 for the one skein. I was a little freaked out. I really hate buying anything for full price, let alone one measly skein of yarn.

Isn't it pretty?


Fleece Artist Somoko #2
Originally uploaded by vampirefan
I got home, excited about this yarn 'cause I knew that I would get a great pattern of colors only to find it's not enough yarn!!! Argh!!

I still can't make myself return it though, so I'll have to see what else I can make.

*sigh*

===

Pattern Links:

No comments: