Wednesday, December 5, 2007

My first pair of socks! Go me!

I knitted my first pair of socks!

I know! They *do* look huge! I followed Silver's Sock Class basic sock guide, using the instructions for the smallest size. But since I used larger needles and worsted weight yarn, I did expect them to come out bigger than the directions called for.

But you know what? Turns out they fit my feet, but without any real stretch. I'm a size 8 in shoes, so I suspect they will fit someone with larger feet much better.


On the toes, though, one came out more angled than the other. Here's more of a close up. The more angled one has better reductions. The more round toe has badly done reductions on one side. I had worked on the sock on the right first, before I realized (per the helpful members of a knitting community on LiveJournal.com) that i seem to knit combined. Although i have to say that while combined seems to be identified by the fact that the knit stitches end up with their right leg begind the needle, and the purls end up with their right leg in front on the needle, I don't do that. All of my stitches come out with the right leg behind the needle. (Which is still apparently the opposite of the majority whose right leg comes out in front of the needle.) I hope that made sense.




...and here they are on my feet.

knitted on US #8 dpns
yarn: red heart super saver acrylic
yarncolor: camouflage

Now I want to knit more socks!

No comments: